April 07, 2017

3 Memorization Tips From PSYC101


WOOHOO classes are done for the semester!! Jk tho, we still got finals to write. After taking psyc101 last year, I've decided to share some memorization tips that might help you this exam season.

Definitions
Retrieval: getting info out
Recall: the ability to retrieve info learned earlier and not in conscious awareness (fill in the blank)
Recognition: the ability to identify previously learned items (multiple choice test)
Elaboration: focus on meaning of info to encode it into long term memory

1. Study in the same environment

Your ability to remember is improved if tested in the same environment as the initial learning environment. The time of day is also important! Additionally, recalling information is improved if internal physiological/emotional state (moods/emotions) is the same during testing and initial coding. 

How you can apply this:
  • wear the same perfume/cologne while studying and doing the test
  • chew mint gum while studying, chew the same flavour while doing the test (gum also stimulates the brain!)
  • study accordingly to the time of your exam
    • e.g. if your exam is at 8:30am, you should study at 8:30am
  • if slightly drunk while learning.. you may perform better on test if slightly drunk (not actually recommended tho LOL)

Due to these factors, my prof insisted with the people who schedule our exams to switch the location of our final to the same lecture hall we usually had class in 😂.

For more info, feel free to Google context-dependent memory, context-dependent effects, state dependent memory, and state dependent effects. 

2. Recalling is more effective

Recognition produces more memory retrieval than recall, but recall makes you memorize better.

My prof always said on multiple choice tests to cover up the possible answers and try to come up with the answer yourself first (recall). However, I'm too lazy for that and usually end up guessing on tests anyways so I just look at the possible answers and try to pick what seems right (recognition).

Ways to keep things in long term memory (elaboration):
  • actively question new info
  • think about its implications
  • relate info to things you already know
    • making connections helps grow neuro-pathways!! (aka beneficial for your brain)
  • generate own examples of concepts
  • don't highlight passages as you read, instead focus on the ideas in the text

I've been taking Korean this past year and we have vocab quizzes almost every week. Initially, I repeatedly write the character to memorize the spelling but to truly test my knowledge of how well I know the written form/meaning/pronunciation, I use flash cards. I separate the ones I failed to remember and then try to focus on learning those again. After that, I keep testing myself until I've memorized the whole pile. I actually use physical flash cards and hand-write my answers as I go through them to engage all of my senses, making my brain more aware of what I'm doing and help my muscle memory. Practicing recalling info actually works because in a short answer test, you're basically forced to recall everything anyways. 

3. The more meaning you give info, the better you retain it

How you can apply this:
  • rhyme your notes or listen in musical form (ever noticed how you can easily memorize song lyrics?)
  • use imagery 
  • create a story/allegory (my bio teacher did this when we learned about DNA sequencing lol)
  • create an acronym for lists


For more study tips and tricks, click here to read my post from grade 12 😅. 
Good luck with finals everyone!!  

x
Melissa
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig