March 21, 2017

Doolami


     Went with @rollingoutthedoor to try out Doolami Desserts! I've been meaning to try out this place for the longest time but the earliest they open is 7pm.. so they definitely cater to the late night crowd (but if you're there a couple minutes before 7 check to see if the door is open cause although they might not look open, they actually are). There are a lot of mixed reviews about this place so I thought I'd share my thoughts! People have said this place is more expensive than other dessert places, but it's because they use fresh fruit imported from all over the world! In fact, the prices of their mango sago varies according to the season. 



     We ordered their house special shaved ice, which was ranked #2 in popularity. Of course, their mango flavour is #1. After exploring a bunch of Korean bingsu places, I wanted to see if there was much of a difference with the Chinese version. The shape is definitely unique! My friend's mom owns a dessert place and has a painting of her green shaved ice but to me it looks like a bunch of lettuce..😂. There was the option to change the flavour of the ice so we asked for mango, but the colour was pretty white and it didn't taste like mango so I'm not sure if it actually was. It also came served with a side of peanuts, red bean, and their handmade taro/yam/purple yam/lotus seed balls. Tbh, we couldn't tell which ball was which flavour. There were no purple balls, so I'm assuming we didn't get any taro or purple yam ones. But to me they all tasted like chewy plastic... so if you were expecting mochi, this isn't it. My friend and I both weren't a super super huge fan of this (esp for the price lol we ended up just eating the ice and leaving the sides), but I've heard amazing things about their $21 dragon fruit shaved ice. It's that expensive because the dragon fruit is imported from Ecuador! Maybe I'll actually try that one next time, or the mango.



     Doolami's mango sago was actually nominated for best mango sago in the 2016 Chinese Restaurant Awards so of course we had to order it and thankfully, it didn't disappoint. I've read some reviews of people saying the mangos are sour cause they're from Australia, but luckily ours were ripe and sweet! See my friend's review post here. Highly recommend coming here just to try this!👍🏻






     On IG people have said their matcha green tea ice cream is more bitter than other ice cream shops, since this place is suited more for Chinese tastebuds (as in not too sweet). Being born in Canada, I'm more accustomed to the sweet matcha taste but I'm obsessed with green tea in general so I had to buy a pint just to try it out! It was definitely bitter at first but as my tongue became more and more frozen I got used to it lol. As described here, you get hit with a strong taste of matcha followed by a little bit of sweetness which then leaves a bitter aftertaste on the tongue, something I definitely noticed as well. 

     I bought a pint to-go not just because I love ice cream that much, but because it's a better deal! In the restaurant you can order two scoops which come served in a waffle bowl, but they melt quickly because of the lack of stabilizers/preservatives/additives and it's priced at $9 whereas a pint is $12.


     This place actually fills up pretty quickly so I'd try to go early! There's also the chance that they might run out of certain items too since everything is made in house. If you're ever around the Marpole area in the evening and craving dessert, I'd recommend this place! Our order came pretty quickly and the guy working there was nice. They also had a Chinese game show called Go Fighting! playing on the TV so my friend and I definitely got some entertainment out of that. No English subs but I was surprised to see Lay from EXO in it! Turns out he's actually part of the main cast.


Hope you all have a lovely week! I'm going to see the Dean concert right after my midterm heheh what a treat 😍

x
Melissa

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig