December 31, 2017

12 Buying and Applying Fragrance Tips


At first, I didn't think I'd have much to share but the more I wrote, the more tips and tricks I remembered hence the long list. Being an avid perfume collector, I've come to learn a lot and hopefully you learn something new too reading this post!

1. Apply perfume to warm areas

  It's hard to explain but I mean the parts of your body where a lot of blood circulates. This includes the neck, chest, wrist, and the inside of your elbows and knees. Technically even armpits would work, which is why perfumed deodorants exist.

2. Spray before you put on jewelry

The alcohol in perfume can be damaging to jewelry so spray and let it dry before you put on any accessories.

3. Don't rub your wrists together

This seems like the most basic of basic perfume rules ever but I'm surprised at the sight of how many people still do this. Apparently it breaks down the fragrance bonds or something. My science friend calls BS on this but just to be safe I tap my wrists together.

4. Layer perfume with lotion

If you find that your perfume doesn't last very long, layer it using an unscented lotion first or one with the same fragrance. This is why you'll often see perfumes coming in a body lotion and shower gel set.

5. Spray perfume in your hair 

Do it so others will get a refreshing whiff every time you touch or play or toss your hair! But because fragrances have high alcohol content, ignore this tip if your hair is particularly dry.

6. Use sparingly

Although I've listed a bunch of places where you can spray perfume, I'd say only do a max of 2 sprays or else you'll kill everyone around you. I usually do one spray on my right wrist, tap both wrists together, and then tap off the excess on my neck and décolletage. Finally, I do one spray on my hair and then flip my head a little. When you first buy a fragrance, you'll definitely be aware of the scent but then you'll quickly become desensitized to it due to the familiarity of the smell. However, others will be able to notice it more than you so spray sparingly!

7. Don't store them in your bathroom

Humidity and heat can ruin the overall bottle of perfume and alter the scent so keep your fragrances in a cool, dry area.

8. Don't buy rollerballs 

It's tempting cause they're a lot cheaper, but I read that they pick up dead skin cells which has turned me off rollerballs forever. I used to have the Marc Jacobs Daisy rollerball since the scent longevity was practically nonexistant so I wanted to carry it around for touchups. However, later on I saw little specks floating around in it and eventually it just didn't smell the same anymore. Sounds really gross, I know LOL so yeah just don't do it. Travel size sprays are amazing though. I have Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue and even though they list it as a rollerball, it's actually a spray!

9. Smell before you buy 

When Sephora had their 20% off sale, I was really tempted to buy a Jo Malone scent prior to smelling them in person. I'm really glad I waited though because all the scents I expected to love based on other people's reviews, I hated HAHA. Websites can try their best to describe a scent but honestly, it's such a personal experience you really have to go in person to smell a scent before deciding whether or not it's something you'd want to buy. Another bonus tip is that sometimes stores will have trays of coffee beans around! Smell these to "reset" your palate when looking at multiple fragrances.

10. Spray on your body before you buy

To truly smell a scent, you have to make sure you spray it on some part of your body! Everyone has different body chemicals and create different chemical reactions when mixed with perfume. While a scent may smell great on paper or on your friend, it may smell terrible on you. I'm definitely guilty of buying a scent that ended up smelling not so amazing on me but now I just use them as air fresheners or spray them on my pillows and hair. Just something to keep in mind before dropping all that cash!

11. Wait before you buy

After spraying on a scent on in-store, wait a little bit before you decide to buy it. Fragrances have different top, middle, and base notes. The top note is what you smell immediately after spraying. The middle note is revealed after around 20 minutes and the base note is the lasting smell after around 40 minutes. I love Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell because it has a floral scent at first, then fruity, and then it dries down to a light musk.

12. Get samples

I'll admit, perfumes are super expensive. They're usually around $100 or more for a bottle, but the good thing is that they practically last forever. If you're the type to buy many different kinds and like to experiment a little, I'd say buy the smallest bottle, a travel spray if available, or a size around 50mL. I've also gotten a lot of perfume minis as 250 point rewards from Sephora! There are always a ton of sample for each perfume too so try to hunt one down. I usually get them after a purchase since I'm VIB Rouge but if there's a specific one that catches your eye, don't be afraid to ask for a sample! I believe they do this at most major department stores as well. The samples last a long time but the only negative is that they usually aren't sprays, but the ones where you have to pour out. If I know I'm going to a store that day, I won't spray on perfume cause I know I can just use the one they have on the shelf HEHEHE. 


     Aromas have a strong psychological effect on people! They're super impactful when it comes to memory as the mind associates things with scents. I once read a story where this guy bought his mom a perfume and surprisingly enough it was the one she wore while giving birth to him! Fragrances are also a great way to get someone's attention, as long as you don't overdo it. Have you ever gotten a whiff of an amazing scent from someone who just walked past? They definitely just became a bit more attractive. Moreover, scents can be used to convey a message. Most people have a fragrance for professional settings, where one wants to smell more mature, a sexy perfume for date night, and a "signature scent" for daily use. 


Can you believe it's the last day of 2017?? Like the saying goes, the days are long but the years are short! 
Have an amazing night~

x
Melissa
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig