August 31, 2016

Greece: Santorini


     Oh dear, summer is almost over and I've only completed 1/3 of this travel diary series. Isn't it insane how fast time flies? In July I remember being so ready to go back to school but now that classes start next week, the thought of schoolwork makes me anxious. Ugh, not ready to bomb more exams LOL.

Day 7

     The villages in Santorini are absolutely gorgeous. The iconic whites and blues really stand out. Tbh, the rest of the island is full of dead plants and stinky donkeys, but at least the donkeys were cute. 

     We had to take a tender boat from the cruise to the port and from there, you had the option to either travel up the island by donkey or cable car. Since I was with my grandparents, we took the cable car. I'm not that afraid of heights but when the cable car shook, it was scary. The thought of my car falling from the cable and smashing on the rocks below freaked me out a little. What a way to go, huh? But I quickly got over it since the view was really pretty. 

     I originally wanted to ride a donkey because that's the classic tourist thing to do but a fellow passenger in our car said he did it 20 years ago when he visited and he felt sorry for the animals, saying it was a rough industry. I definitely wouldn't want to be carrying overweight tourists uphill every single day. 




     At the top, we met our driver. There were these shops selling Sparta T-shirts, which reminded me of Sparta Kook from Running Man. I regret not buying one because I never saw a design as nice as the ones here throughout the rest of my trip in Greece. 

     We then walked around Oia, one of the three villages in Santorini. The architecture here is simple, but the colours make it very vibrant.










     For lunch, our driver took us to this hotel that was right along the beach. We ate with a view. I noticed that Greece has quite a bit of stray cats and dogs. The waitress must've been used to it because she shoo'd the cat away from our table.






Looking at these pics of food is seriously making me hungry rn. This is where I ate the best pita bread I've ever had in my entire life. We ordered chicken souvlaki, calamari, and seafood spaghetti.

Back on the ship, we watched Ride Along 2.

Fun fact, did you know that Santorini used to be a completely perfect circular island until a volcano erupted, leaving the island in the shape it holds today.

Hope you've had a wonderful summer and that you're making the most out of these last few days! 

x
Melissa



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig