September 06, 2016

Greece: Athens + Olympia


     Although Athens and Olympia weren't the prettiest places, they were very rich in history. It was fascinating to learn about the Olympics and imagine what life was like in that very spot, so many years ago.

DAY 9

     We started off the day by ordering room service. On one slice of toast I had Nutella, and on the other I paired strawberry jam with peanut butter.  

     After getting off the boat, we met with our tour guide. Out of the entire trip, this guy was by far the best tour guide we had. He was super entertaining and actually made an effort to get to know us and our names. He asked about the weather we get in Vancouver and what I'm studying in university. 

     At the Acropolis, we learned about the golden ratio, which is 4:5. The Greeks used this measurement in the building of the Parthenon, as well as for sculptures. The tour guide said something about a certain number of the height of the columns being equal to the length/width of the Parthenon. I'm not really good with math so I couldn't remember the exact measurements. 







     Our tour guide also told us this story about why the back of an olive tree leaf is silver. Apparently in that very spot is where Athena appeared and gifted the Greeks the first olive tree ever.


     The view from the top of the Acropolis was pretty cool since you could also see the Odeon, which is a theatre.




     We then went to Panathenaic Stadium. It is the only all-white marble stadium in the world. The tour guide said he would take us to the temple of Zeus but I'm not sure if we actually went since I fell asleep in the car. Climbing the stairs at the Acropolis was easy but maybe the heat got to me haha.



     For fine dining back on the ship, my three course meal consisted of chilled peach soup, roast pork, and mixed berry crumble for dessert. After being on this cruise, I am officially obsessed with crumbles. If you see it listed on the menu, you know you have to get it. 

     The movies I watched were Burnt and The Tourist. I loved both movies, especially The Tourist since it featured Angelina Jolie in Venice!


DAY 10

     Again, we ordered room service for breakfast. I ate hash browns and topped my toast with peanut butter and bananas. 

     After having such a great tour guide, this girl after did not compare at all. The archaeological museum bored us and being in the hot sun was not fun. Plus, her accent was so thick I could barely understand it, and usually I'm pretty good at understanding people despite their accents. 






     We also drove by a dam... fun stuff.



     Today's gelato flavour of the day? I decided to try out pistachio. We then went back onto the ship and watched The Jungle Book and High Strung. The girl's acting in High Strung was terriblly awkward but the male lead was hellaaaa cute. Nicholas Galitzine. Search him up on Google images and thank me later.

     We also went to tonight's show which was a stand-up comedy act by a British guy named Kevin. I won't give away all his material but a funny part I would like to mention is when he asked "I know I'm not a super famous guy, right?" and then the audience immediately answered "nope", to which he then remarked "well you didn't have to be so quick about it!" He was a hilarious guy; I quite enjoyed him. It was a good way to end the night.


School starts tomorrow! Well for most. I don't have class, but work calls. Gotta rake in that money somehow. Sending good vibes for the rest of the school year!

x
Melissa




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig